I have been away from writing for some time now. The reasons aren’t important, suffice it to say I have been busy. In recent weeks I have been able to return to the task of editing and writing and have made considerable progress.
Recently I entered into an editing arrangement with a friend from the Magic City Writers’ Group. Her name is Alex, I have know for several years now, and she wants to edit my work and give me feedback. There is nothing more valuable to a writer, so I have taken her up on her kind offer. We agreed that I would send her my chapters in one at a time, in the correct order, so she would be evaluating each one in its correct context. We started with chapter one, which she returned to me a little over a week ago with numerous comments. Her criticisms were substantial, constructive, and, most importantly, often correct.
I have incorporated her suggestions, and now repost chapter 1, The Wizard’s Spells…, in its latest incarnation. You can find it at http://gods-among-men.com/blog/books/book1.
Alex is currently editing chapter 2, …Awakens the Outer Circle,…. I started editing it some months ago with the intent of posting on this site as a completed version. The numerous distractions I faced since then kept me from finishing my edits, then I became obsessed with rewriting chapter 5, Through Persuasion and Force…, a substantial effort I finished last night.
I took enough time away from chapter 5 to finish the edits on chapter 2 so I could send it to Alex. Once she returns chapter 2 with her edits, I shall incorporate them as fast as possible and post them on this site.
After that, I plan to post the chapters as I incorporate Alex’s latest edits. With luck, I will post a chapter every 2-3 weeks, at least through chapter 5.
I am about to embark on a substantial rewrite of chapter 6, …Personal Lives are Upset…, which will take quite some time to complete. After that comes the edit/rewrite of chapter 7, …And Critical Moments Relived …, which I expect to be hellish. Either of these chapters may cause my posting schedule to slow. Combined they are certain to bring my efforts to a crawl.
Another task I must look at is what the heck is going on with the template I’m using for the website. The images are wrong and the menus look funky. I upgraded the template a while back, so I’m guessing it threw out my old settings. Which means I must wade back into the dashboard and figure out what I did before to make everything look correct.